From the desk of Methuselah Foundation CEO Dave Gobel:
We see the potential for many people to live a long, healthy life who are currently denied that possibility. These are the people who need a new organ. It’s April 1st but this is NOT an April Fool’s joke. It is good news from your friends at Methuselah Foundation. This is a Pre-Announcement. We want you to be the first to know about the NewOrgan Prize and NewOrgan Network. They will not be announced to the public until next week.
Our new longevity prize specifically focuses on speeding up the development of replacement tissues and organs for humans. The goal is to accelerate advances in regenerative medicine that will become the standard of care for replacing all tissue and organ systems in the body within 20 years, according to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.
Also Announcing: NewOrgan Network for those in need now.
Do you know someone who needs an organ? To provide a right-now solution Methuselah Foundation is also establishing the NewOrgan Network, a wellness community powered by My Bridge 4 Life. Those in need of replacement organs can reach out to friends and family for personal support. Please take a look, the NewOrgan Network Beta site is up and running now.
Here’s how the NewOrgan Prize works:
The first research team to construct a whole new complex organ (heart, kidney, liver, lung, pancreas) from a person’s own cells and successfully transplant it will be awarded the NewOrgan Prize. Our goal is to achieve this medical breakthrough within the next 10 years!
Early next week we will issue a call to action for competitors, candidates and contributors to participate in this crucial medical challenge aimed at extending health human life.
We have already attracted a world class Scientific Advisory Board for this effort, including:
- Anthony Atala, MD – Wake Forest University W.H. Boyce Professor; Director of the Institute for Regenerative Medicine; Chair, Department of Urology
- Stephen F. Badylak, DVM, PhD, MD – University of Pittsburgh Professor, Department of Surgery; Deputy Director McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine; Director of the Center for Pre-Clinical Tissue Engineering
- Gabor Forgacs, Ph.D – University of Missouri George H Vineyard Professor of Theoretical Physics; Scientific Founder, Organovo
In addition to our notable Executive Advisory Board:
- Roger Holzberg, Founder & CEO, My Bridge 4 Life and Methuselah Foundation’s CCO/Creative Director
- Keith Murphy, CEO & President, Organovo
- David Jacobs, Founder & CEO, Silverstone Solutions
- Robert Cohen, CEO, Miromatrix
Based on our success in spurring medical advances with the original Methuselah Mouse prize or Mprize, I anticipate that over $10 million will be raised by the time the NewOrgan Prize criteria is met – and the prize presented – to the leading medical R&D team. We hope that the support and interest of friends like you will help us reach our goal. A significant award will encourage more research teams to take on the challenge.
PS We have put together a quick NewOrgan Prize video to explain the prize, please watch and share it.
PPS Become one of the first to contribute to the NewOrgan Prize. Your gift could help tens of thousands of people live a longer, healthier life.