The Vascular Tissue Challenge is a $500,000 prize purse for the creation ofthick, human vascularized organ tissue in an in-vitro environment that maintains metabolic functionality similar to in vivo native cells throughout a 30-day trial period. The Methuselah Foundation’s New Organ Alliance and NASA’s Centennial Challenges Program have partnered to create this challenge with the goal of advancing research on human physiology, fundamental space biology, and medicine taking place both on the Earth and the ISS National Laboratory.
Additionally, the Center for Advancement of Science in Space (CASIS) will be providing an additional “Innovations in Space” Award covering $200,000 in hardware costs and the launch costs to send one team’s vascular tissue experiment to the International Space Station that could further their research in the field.
This introductory webinar is for anyone interested in potentially competing for the Vascular Tissue Challenge. In the webinar we will discuss the following items:
- Introduction to the Methuselah Foundation, New Organ Alliance, and NASA Centennial Challenges.
- Goals of the Vascular Tissue Challenge.
- Rules & evaluation criteria review.
- Innovations in Space Awardresearch opportunity using microgravity environment onboard the ISS.
- Processes and Procedures to compete.
- Question & Answer session.
Registration is free, but is required. The web address for the webinar will be emailed to webinar registrants prior to the event.